Friday, March 11, 2011

For the love of food!

 In some way or another, I seemed to have dedicated my life to food. As soon as I could reach the counter standing on a chair, I was in business. When I was 13, I came to the realization that meat=animal and became a vegetarian. I was the first in my family to ever make this choice. I was questioned and ridiculed.
 Although I've spent most my life cooking and preparing food. I had little knowledge on being a vegetarian. So I ate tofu and lots of it. By the time I was 18 it stared to have an effect on my health.
 I went to a medical intuitive, she helped start the journey to what I know now. I stopped eating wheat, minimized my intake of dairy, integrated fresh organic vegetables and eliminated refined sugar. As for the meat I was hesitant to put that back into the daily routine. After a couple months, I decided to eat meat once a month and learned the importance of Organic, free range and local.
 Later I went to an ayurvedic doctor, she came to the conclusion that my lymph system was not very strong, I was always getting sick and congested. I added good salt to my diet, chlorophyll, homemade chai, bone broth and chia seed soaked in water. 
Two years ago, I learned from my fiance Eric that red root tincture helps to stimulate the lymph system, I also take Oregon grape for the immune system. I have not been sick in these two years. I have found what works for my body. What a relief.
 My diet is unique. Let me tell you all about it.  
For starters I only buy Organic. I base every meal around the type of vegetable or grain I feel like eating.
 I eat oats, spelt, rice, quinoa, buckwheat, barley, lentils, beans and kamut. 
 I like every kind of vegetable and fruit, however I'm sorry to say that tomatoes and eggplant are not a part of that list. I like white potatoes and corn but I'm concerned about their genetics. So, I use them sparingly. Kale can be grown year round in our climate and is a good source of protein. I'm sensitive to oranges but I eat them. Lemons are so helpful to alkaline the body. Lime juice helps shrink the stomach.  
 When I was pregnant I wanted red meat and I allowed that craving to take hold of me. I'm narrowing that intake down as each day passes. I figure that as long as I'm nursing Enala I can indulge in that craving once a week. 
 I buy Organic local grassfed beef and chicken. I love venison but I'm not a hunter so when I'm gifted some I'm most grateful. I will eat salmon if its wild, farmed salmon is suspicious. I've tasted lamb and then feel guilty. I'm not all that excited about buffalo because I have mixed feeling. I don't eat shrimp, I learned that for every 10 shrimp a pound of non edible sea life is destroyed. Other than salmon I rarely partake in seafood.
 All my baking is gluten free. 
 I don't eat soy, unless it's organic, cultured or fermented. 
 I use walnut, sesame, coconut and olive oil in my cooking. I like butter but I use it sparingly.
 Goats milk and cheese is better digested in my body.
 I enjoy local raw honey, it can heal to alleviate allergies, real maple syrup, good clear agave and coconut sugar. Dates and raisins are great for eating when I crave something sweet. Molasses is high in Iron and I like it.
 Seaweed is yummy and has important minerals, strengthens hair growth!
 I choose coconut vinegar over apple cider, for the taste is preferable. I do like apple cider vinegar for it's healing properties. Sometimes I dilute a little in water and drink it. 
 Ginger helps my belly when it aches. 
 I never really liked chicken eggs. Then, I learned that eggs are a complete protein. I tasted farms fresh eggs. Makes all the difference. Now we raise our own hens. Duck eggs are a super food.
 I eat eat all Organic seeds and nuts, peanuts and cashews are minimized. I like raw better. I always soak then dehydrate all nuts, mostly because it tastes better but mainly to remove the tannins. Sesame seeds are high in calcium.
 I started eating fresh homegrown sprouts which I enjoy as part of any meal or by the handful. They are also a mild galactagogue. 
 Mushrooms are tricky, I know they are a dead food, but it's hard to resist sauteing some organic brown criminis or hunting for some chantrelles.
 Fermented foods, like kimchee are an important source of active culture which aids in a healthy digestive system.
 I have said that basil could be replaced for a bouquet of flowers and be far more useful. Vanilla has been used by women as a perfume. I will put a little vanilla bean in the batter and a little on me. Cinnamon can be used in almost anything. It will enhance the dish and give it that desired flavor. When to use white  pepper over black is a must know when learning to mix flavors.  Parsley and cilantro are important additions when making certain dishes. Knowing how to mix the herbs are so important in turning any dish into a masterpiece.
  I cannot call myself a vegetarian or a serious carnivor, raw foodist or vegan. I have no interest in fasting or becoming a sun-itarian. I have come up with a new type of diet and I'm telling people I'm a dankatarian. Dank meaning very good.
 I agree that once a year in the springtime an intestinal cleanse is a must. I'm looking forward to that next year when I ween Enala. 
 I truly enjoy eating and creating food that helps heal the body. That being said, I hope to share some really good food combinations with everyone reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment